Monday, August 04, 2008

Post-illness catch-up: Interactive Fiction

Tonsillitis really kicked my ass last week. Been awhile since I felt the burning rush of fever, as well as the nigh-hallucinations of a Fever-Dream.

I managed to surf over to Emily Short's webpage, after finding her Homer in Silicon column on GameSetWatch.

This proved to be an interesting re-introduction into Interactive Fiction, for me. Which is pretty much how it sounds - stories you influence. Ms. Short has several of her own work on display, and so far I've given both "Floatpoint" and "Glass" a shot.

Now, I'm hooked. "Floatpoint" deserved the awards it won two years ago (yeah, I'm late, so sue me), and sparked onto some of my tinder.

Many of those who know me personally, know that I have one of those 'Novels' I've been mulling around in my head for quite some time. It involves a Faustian deal-with-a-devil, morality, and other neat things. After being blown away by the "Floatpoint" setting, and seeing how well a branching storyline can be implemented in "Glass", I believe I'm going to turn "Soulseer" into an IF.

Why would I do such a thing? Well, to be perfectly honest, there's a few reasons. A large one is the fact I'm a game designer, and not an author. Some people, including me, call that an excuse, so I have a back-up reason: malleability. I'm not quite certain where I'm going to go with Soulseer, so letting the reader decide seems to be a mutually beneficial.

To clarify, I'm not certain if I want to write it as a comic book, novel, series, screenplay, or what. With Interactive Fiction, the final part of the work can be a reflection on the choices the reader made, which plays very well into the Morality theme I'm going for.

Latest distractions: Bankotsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Latest obstacles: Car trouble - coolant leak and headlight burnout.

edit: The image I had linked to The Melancholy was replaced with a giant passive-aggressive "HOTLINKING IMAGES FROM STARKEITH.NET IS NOT ALLOWED." So I'll upload the amazing background I found there to photobucket when I get home so I can share the wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment