Sunday, October 05, 2008

Ubuntu, I choose you!

Now that I've scratched 'rescue laptops' off my List of Doom (which is kept as a scroll), it's time to install Ubuntu onto my old Toshiba 1115-S103. I didn't have a CD burner available, and my attempts at installing from my new 2gb high-speed thumbdrive failed.

That was probably due to the ancient BIOS being unable to play with it.

So I put the install CD's ISO on the thumbdrive, instead, and will burn it to CD when I get to an applicable computer and burner.

To help pass the time during these trials, I picked up one of my old GameBoy Colors and proceeded to start a new game of Pokemon Red.

So familiar, yet so foreign. I was happy, and having fun, until not 10 minutes after first getting my Pokémon I fought my rival for the second time. He not only managed to level his Squirtle five times, but he also had a level 9 Pidgey with him too. This was 10 minutes into the game! I turned it off for a little bit, after saving.

I went to bed, postponing both Pokemon and Linux for another day.

This morning I had a little bit of time to kill, so I started training up the pokemon I captured. Oh how I nearly jumped out of my seat when I found myself face-to-face with a pikachu in Viridian Forest. I completely forgot they were in there.

Needless to say, five minutes later I had myself a little rematch with Gary. Pikachu obliterated him.

It was then when I realized something. I don't enjoy Pokemon's fights very much, unless they make sense. When one side is dominating - even if I'm on the losing side - I have more fun than when two Weedle sit there Poison Stinging each other to death. [Side note: In Red, these attacks count as Super Effective. I can't figure out a reason for it.]

On the other hand, maybe it's a punishment for not fighting correctly? It's more time-efficient to bust out a higher level Pokémon and split the experience, than it is for two weak shin-kickers to go at it for awhile.

I'm just aching for something more dramatic out of these fights. The Pokémon world is so great, I really don't want to have to make up my own version just to have more enjoyable combat.

Now, excuse me as I continue reading up on Pokéthulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment