Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's BYOND me

Yeah, that didn't last long.

It's very frustrating, understanding how to script but not understanding the particular programming language. Time and time again, in reference files and tutorials, I find myself thinking "That... doesn't make any sense..." or "But why do I do that?"

Then, if by some miracle I find out how to solve my problem, it's almost always something ridiculous. An answer that was just phrased in a fashion that I could understand. Generally, something that makes me say, "Well, why didn't they just say that in the first place?"

Maybe I'll take a look at Game Maker. Apparently they have a huge community there that's easy to interact with. (BYOND does in fact have a community of some sort, but it isn't very large. That and the forum isn't very inviting to me for some reason.)

***

What I'd really like to do right now is play with combat mechanics. I've been playing Darksiders lately, and on a whim visited Vigil Games' website to look at their job openings. They're the folks working on Warhammer 40k: Dark Millenium Online - and that alone can keep my eye on them like Sauron to the Ring. For their Darksiders franchise, they had a Senior Combat Designer posted, which got me thinking.

That would be ridiculous amounts of fun. How can I do that?

So I think I'd like to make a simple brawler, like a Streets of Rage - but with more dynamic fighting. Something more fluid and lifelike, less of the standard hit-it-til-it-dies.

I find that my enjoyment of hit-it-til-it-dies is waning quickly. Perhaps I've just been spoiled on Hit-Point-less roleplaying games, like White Wolf and Savage Worlds.

2 comments:

  1. If you're looking at Game Maker I HIGHLY recommend Derek Yu's 4-part tutorial. It's the first set linked here:

    http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3142.0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so perfect! I look forward to diving into that after this weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete